The Yankees team that won 13 straight games seems like a lifetime ago.
The Yankees lost to the lowly Orioles Thursday, then lost two of three to the below average Cleveland Indians in their own building over the weekend. They enter Monday 1.5 games back of the second Wild Card spot in the American League. Are they going to miss the playoffs?
That’s the big question on the latest “Pinstripe Pod” with Chris Shearn and Jeff Nelson. Rabid Yankees fan and actor Nick Turturro dropped by the podcast to vent his frustrations with the team and discuss what they need to do to shake things up in the offseason.
Pinstripe Pod Opening Segment with Chris, Jeff & Jake:
- POOR PLAY: Yankees have painted themselves in a corner. Blue Jays are playing great baseball. Everyone cares too much about launch angle. This offense is struggling. Gerrit Cole was terrible Sunday. Shearn says this is the most confounding Yankees team he has ever seen. Do the Yankees need to move on from Gary Sanchez after this season?
- PLAYOFFS: Would fans be happier not making the playoffs or losing in the one-game playoff? Blue Jays and Red Sox both have easier remaining schedules than the Yankees. They badly need to sweep the Rangers this week.
Nick Turturro Interview:
Actor, rabid Yankees fan
- LOSING HOPE: Believes the Yankees will miss the playoffs. Thought this series with Cleveland sealed their playoff hopes.
- NO BOONE: Wants Aaron Boone fired. Wants Brian Cashman fired, but doesn’t expect that to happen. Coaching staff has no urgency.
- NEAR DIVORCE: This Yankees team nearly costing him his marriage. They are not fun to watch and his wife is getting fed up with him.
Catch up on all episodes of “Pinstripe Pod,” a New York Yankees podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the whole crew on Twitter @ChrisShearnYES, @NYNellie43 and @JakeBrownRadio. New episodes of the show are released Mondays and Thursdays.