A fire broke out at the Nowrosjee Wadia children’s hospital in Parel in central Mumbai on Friday evening but nobody was injured in the incident, civic officials said.
Some patients were shifted as smoke spread through the building while the fire was brought under control within one and a half hours, they said.
The fire erupted near a paediatric operation theatre on the first floor of the trust-run hospital around 6.50 pm.
As many as eight fire engines and six water tankers were sent to the spot, said a fire brigade official.
“The flames have been brought under control now,” he said.
The blaze was confined to electric wiring, electric installation, central AC, doors, windows and wooden partition in the UPS room on the first floor of the ground-plus two storey building, the official said.
The first and second floors of the building were filled with smoke and patients in the nearest wards were shifted to safe places with the help of staff, he said.
The cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained, officials said.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)